Anticipation builds as the 2023 International V-Label Awards unveils its illustrious shortlist of finalists. From over 230 entries across the 3 expert categories, 15 entries were selected from each category as finalists through a series of binary questions in the application form.
These shortlisted applications are currently being evaluated by an impressive jury panel of industry experts to help select the most innovative and impactful plant-based products. Before the scores are finalized in time for the Winner announcements in November, V-Label is thrilled to unveil the shortlisted brands in each of the expert-judged categories. To see the full list of Finalists, please visit the Awards website.
“From upcycled mayonnaise to leather made from tea or olive waste and everything in between, the diverse range of plant-based products submitted to this year’s Awards proves yet again that the plant-based landscape is flourishing with innovation,” shared Nikolett Konkoly, Awards Program Manager.
What the jury have been looking for
The Sustainability category was designed to honor plant-based products that go above and beyond in minimizing their environmental footprint and promoting sustainable practices. The application form included questions on impact reduction by substituting traditionally animal-based products, carbon footprint reduction, water conservation, waste management, sustainable sourcing, and social impact.
Further jury members evaluating this category include Catherine Coward, Co-Founder of The Good Crowd; Enric Urrutia, Director of Bueno y Vegano; and Réka Szöllősi, Freelance Food Sustainability Consultant.
Albrecht has been evaluating entries in the Innovation category, along with Renato Pichler, Founder of V-Label; Vera Oswald, Head of Customer Relations at Vegconomist; and Sagar Tandon, Partner at Beyond Impact. Open to not-yet-licensed products as well, the judging criteria in the Innovation category included novelty, technical complexity and manufacturing innovation, ingredient and packaging innovation, customer experience, and financial performance.
New in 2023, the Marketing & Branding category was introduced to highlight the clever marketing and branding strategies brands employ to market their plant-based products, which contribute to the overall popularity of vegan options. Some of the key areas the jury evaluated in this category were overall brand image and messaging, design, social media marketing, campaigns, transparency, and customer experience. Besides Abigail, scoring in this category has been carried out by Paula González Carracedo, Founder of The Vegan Agency; Vikas Garg, Founder of abillion; Dr. Toni Vernelli, International Head of Communications and Marketing at Veganuary; and James Pryor, Co-Founder and Creative Director of Touch (EPDA Member).
Full list of shortlisted entries
- 2CV by Bodegues Sumarroca
- Cactus-based leather by DESSERTO
- Almond Brownie by Farm Brothers
- Fred’s Vegan Mayo by Fred’s Vegan
- GROW Unmilky Flow range by Taucherli
- F’sh Filet by Heura Foods
- Burger and Ćevapčići by O’Plant
- Olive waste-based leather by Oleatex
- Meatless Bacon by Plenty Reasons
- Proteína ReVeL by ReVeL Foods
- Doc Loureiro 2022 and Doc Rose 2022 by Stilla Pura
- PlantFish White Fillet by Unfished
- Vegan Burger by Aivia
- Complete dog food by VEGDOG
- Veganer Streichgenuss and Vemondo Range by Lidl
- Compleat Plant Protein 1.6 by Nestlé
- Beef Flavoured Seasoning by Dasida
- F’sh Fillet by Heura Foods
- Fred’s Vegan Mayo by Fred’s Vegan
- Bio Plant-Based No.1 by Goldblatt
- Gourmet Vegan Mayonnaise by Grapoila
- Pea Protein by Herbivore Protein
- Almond Based Yogurt by Jooma
- Lipid Care Probiotic Nourishing Cream by Lanbiotic
- Oasis by Vegtus
- Pineapple Mattress Ticking by Boyteks Tekstil
- Plant Based Stripes (Bio Impressed Vegan Bacon) by Foodys
- Leather Alternative Made from Tea Waste by WASTEA
- Soft Blanc by Mondarella
- Planted.chicken Filet Natur by Planted
- Extra Virgin Olive Oil by 8:26 Histories Charilaos Gounaras
- Heura Foods Range
- Goldblatt Range
- Bio & Vegan Biscuits by Kambly
- Meatless Cold Cuts by Plenty Reasons
- MEGGLE Vegan Range
- Milder Bio-Naturschnaps by Schladerer
- Food For Future Range by Penny
- Range Of Traditional Vegan Ready Meals by Surinver
- Ritter Sport Vegan Range
- TiNDLE Range
- Plant Based Collagen Shampoo by Tresan The Earth
- Vegan Coffee Pods by Natur All
- Baguettes by You Vegan
- Vemondo Range by Lidl
Coming up next…
In just three weeks, the 5 Winners of each category will be unveiled on V-Label’s online channels, along with the Winners of the Consumers’ Choice Award—determined by public voting. Additionally, they will be introduced to a global audience in 2 celebratory presentations at the upcoming Plant Based World Expo Europe, taking place on the 15th and 16th of November in London.
For more information and updates on the International V-Label Awards, follow V-Label International to be the first to learn about the Winners and their transformative ideas.